Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Educare Backdoor Learning

 Last week I was able to spend my first hours at my service learning site. I volunteer at Educare. It is a preschool. This preschool is a diamond in the rough. It is located in a mostly rundown area. To my surprise this preschool is government funded. Only kids who qulify financially are allowed to attend the school. This means only children of very low income families attend this preschool. The preschool does more than that just teach the young children. It works with the whole family, to ensure the child is in a good environment. They meet with the families to make sure they can feed and take care of the child efficiently. This amazed me. I am so excited to be able to be apart of a place like this. When I got to educare a few hours a week I am essentially a student teacher. I work and teach in the classrooms with the children along with the hired staff member. I can not wait to spend more time at my site!

1 comment:

  1. Alex, don't forget to try to connect readings and class discussions to your service learning reflections when you blog.

    ReplyDelete